Barrett McNagny is proud to have numerous attorneys rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, a directory which has served as a legal resource for those in the legal industry since 1868. It includes online and print directory listings of attorneys and law firms in the United States, Canada, and 160 other countries.
Martindale-Hubbell's Peer Review Ratings™ are an objective indicator of a lawyer's high ethical standards and professional ability, based upon evaluations of lawyers by other members of the bar and the judiciary in the United States. Martindale-Hubbell surveys lawyers across multiple jurisdictions and geographic locations in similar areas of practice as the lawyer being rated. Reviewers are asked to assess their colleague's general ethical standards and legal ability in a specific area of practice.
The rating is then utilized on the various platforms that Martindale-Hubbell operates, including Lawyers.com.
The Rating Explanation
The ratings reflect a combination of achieving a Very High General Ethical Standards rating and a Legal Ability numerical rating. The General Ethical Standards rating denotes adherence to professional standards of conduct and ethics, reliability, diligence, and other criteria relevant to the discharge of professional responsibilities. The Legal Ability rating is based on the performance of five key areas, rated on a scale of 1 to 5 (with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest). The key areas include:
- Legal Knowledge: Lawyer's familiarity with the laws governing his/her specific area of practice(s).
- Analytical Capabilities: Lawyer's creativity in analyzing legal issues and applying technical knowledge.
- Judgment: Lawyer's demonstration of the salient factors that drive the outcome of a given case or issue.
- Communication Ability: Lawyer's capability to communicate persuasively and credibly.
- Legal Experience: Lawyer's degree of experience in his/her specific area of practice(s).
The numeric rating range may coincide with the appropriate Certification Mark:
- AV Preeminent® (4.5-5.0): AV Preeminent® is a significant rating accomplishment — a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- BV Distinguished® (3.0-4.4): BV Distinguished® is an excellent rating for a lawyer with some experience. A widely respected mark of achievement, it differentiates a lawyer from his or her competition.
Below is Barrett McNagny's listing of AV- and BV-rated attorneys:
- John C. Barce: AV Preeminent®
- Stephen L. Chapman: BV Distinguished®
- H. Joseph Cohen: AV Preeminent®
- Kevin K. Fitzharris: AV Preeminent®
- Richard E. Fox: AV Preeminent®
- N. Thomas Horton, II: AV Preeminent®
- Ben D. Ice: BV Distinguished®
- Robert T. Keen, Jr.: AV Preeminent®
- Thomas M. Kimbrough: AV Preeminent®
- James Koday: AV Preeminent®
- Michael H. Michmerhuizen: BV Distinguished®
- Patrick G. Murphy: AV Preeminent®
- Thomas M. Niezer: AV Preeminent®
- James J. O'Connor, Jr.: AV Preeminent®
- Michael P. O'Hara: AV Preeminent®
- George Pappas: BV Distinguished®
- Trisha J. Paul: BV Distinguished®
- William A. Ramsey: AV Preeminent®
- Cathleen M. Shrader: AV Preeminent®
- David R. Steiner: AV Preeminent®
- Anthony M. Stites: AV Preeminent®
- Emily S. Szaferski: BV Distinguished®
- Samuel J. Talarico, Jr.: AV Preeminent®
- Robert S. Walters: AV Preeminent®