215 East Berry St.
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
To search for an attorney, you can use the Alphabet listing of last names, or use
the dropdown below to narrow your search results by Practice Areas.
All Practice Areas
All Practice Areas
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
Consumer Financial Services
Estate Planning & Administration
Labor & Employment Relations
The News With Thomas
Tom Herr was featured in The News-Sentinel for his involvement with the Fort Wayne Sister Cities International program and his recent trip to Burma.
Tom Herr interviewed by The News-Sentinel for his role as President of Fort Wayne Sister Cities International program.
Mr. Thomas A. Herr and Mr. Thomas P. Yoder were both selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition of Best Lawyers® in America as "Fort Wayne Best Lawyers". Mr. Herr was selected as the “Fort Wayne Best Lawyers Insurance Law Lawyer of the Year” and Mr. Yoder as the "Fort Wayne Best Lawyers Litigation- Bankruptcy Lawyer of the Year".
Herr, Thomas A.
- Conducted over 100 trials and arbitrations. Among the more significant trials are a 12 day bench trial defending claims for breach of a non-compete and trade secrets; six day jury trial in federal court defending a boat manufacturer against claims for breach of warranty and fraud
- Estate Trust Litigation including defense of claims by dissatisfied relatives and former business partners - One recent estate required the filing or disposition of 37 separate lawsuits.
- Business Litigation including contract disputes, trade secrets, warranty claims, copyright and trademark protection
- Construction Litigation including architect`s liability, contractual indemnity, insurance coverage, public bidding issues, performance and payment bonds
- Real Estate Litigation including environmental and brownfield issues, underground storage tanks, realtor error and omission defense, and easements
- Experience in representing lenders in recovering losses from mortgage fraud.
Admitted to practice before the Indiana state courts, the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, The United State District Court for the Western District of Michigan, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, and the Iowa state and federal courts, the United States Supreme Court
- In re Chapman Irrevocable Trust Agreement, 953 N.E.2d 573 (Ind. Ct. App. 2011); judgment in favor of Trustee to amend the terms of an irrevocable trust (reversed on appeal) Silveus Insurance Group v. Goshert, 873 NE2d 165 (Ind. Ct. App. 2007); defense of employees sued for violation of a non-compete agreement
- Jones v. General Electric Co., 87 F.3d 209 (7th Cir. 1996); summary judgment and defended appeal to Seventh Circuit and United States Supreme Court on behalf of General Electric in suit brought by employees under § 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act
- OmniSource Corp. v. CNA/Transcontinental Ins. Co., 949 F.Supp 681 (N.D. Ind. 1996); summary judgment on behalf of insured seeking coverage under general liability insurance policy for losses it incurred after being defrauded in the purchase of scrap metal
- Mountz v. Carroll, 542 N.E.2d 243 (Ind. Ct. App. 1989); summary judgment defending a claim for easement rights to real estate
- Wittwer v. Wittwer, 545 N.E.2d 27, 29 (Ind.Ct.App.1989); reversal of the trial court`s determination that a child who had enlisted in the United States Navy was not emancipated.
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS & ARTICLES PUBLISHED
- Guest, "Midday Matters", Northeast Indiana Public Radio, November 2012
- Speaker, "Copyrights and Trademarks", Advertising Federation of Fort Wayne, November 2012
- Fall 2012, Artlink presentation "Copyrights, Patents & Trademarks"
- Spring 2011: spoke to employees of large private commercial excavation company on quality control issues
- Speaker, "Amendments to the Expert Witness Disclosure Requirements Under F.R.C.P. 26", Indiana Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Allen County Bar Association, December, 2010.
- From the Client`s Perspective; Indiana`s Prohibition of Non-Compete Agreements Among Lawyers, 2002.
- Member, Allen County Bar Association
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Iowa State Bar Association
- Registered Mediator with the Indiana Supreme Court Commission for Continuing Legal Education
- Listed in the 2013 Best Lawyers® in America publication in the practice areas of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law
- Listed in the 2013 Best Lawyers® in America publication as the "Fort Wayne Best Lawyers Insurance Law Lawyer of the Year"
- President, Board of Directors, Fort Wayne Sister Cities International, Inc. (Not-for-profit), 2011, 2001-2005; Board Member (1998-current)
- Member of Board of Directors, Arts United of Greater Fort Wayne. (Not-for-profit) 2003-2009(Past President 2006-2008)
- Law Clerk to U.S. Magistrate Gene B. Lee (1982-1984)
- Drake Law School, Des Moines, Iowa (1982)
- University of Athens, Greece, Law School (Summer 1981)
- Simpson College, (B.A., cum laude, 1978)
IN THE NEWS
- Thomas A. Herr was mentioned in an article about Fort Wayne`s addition a sister city in China. Click here to read the article.
- Thomas A. Herr was featured in the Simpson College Alumni newsletter for his donation of a scholarship for their Study Abroad program. Click here to read the article.
- Thomas A. Herr featured in article published in The News-Sentinel. The firm hosted a German law student from Fort Wayne`s Sister City of Gera, Germany. Click here to read the article.
An attorney-client relationship will NOT be formed merely by sending an email to Barrett & McNagny, LLP or to any of its attorneys. Please do not send any information specific to your legal needs until you obtain approval from a Barrett & McNagny, LLP attorney, as the content of such email will not be considered confidential or privileged. By sending us an email, you confirm your understanding of this notification. If you agree, you may use the e-mail links on this page to contact an attorney.