Health Care Law
Barrett McNagny began providing legal services to health care providers before health care became formally recognized as a practice area of law. Today, health care represents a major industry of our country and attorneys in our Health Care Group concentrate on the legal needs of health care institutions and providers.
We provide services to a variety of health care providers, including physicians, physician groups, physician networks, hospital medical staffs, hospital/physician networks, ambulatory surgery centers, preferred provider organizations, community mental health centers, and liability insurance carriers.
Health Care Regulatory and Administrative Matters
The health care industry is heavily regulated, both at the federal and state levels. Our experienced attorneys routinely counsel clients on various regulatory and statutory issues:
- Affordable Care Act
- Concepts of private inurement and private benefit
- Compensation structures
- Fraud and abuse laws that generally fall into one of three broad categories which prohibit:
- the submission of false, fraudulent, or misleading claims to any government entity or third-party payor.
- the use of kickbacks or other payments in exchange for referrals.
- referrals of Medicare/Medicaid patients for certain designated health services by a physician to an entity with which the physician or the physician's immediate family member(s) have a financial relationship.
- Anti-kickback law and safe harbor regulations
- Third-party billing companies
- Health care fraud and abuse compliance programs
- Ambulatory surgery centers
- Quality Assurance and Utilization Review
- Peer review
- National Practitioner Data Bank
- Health Care Quality Improvement Act
- Advance directives; appointment of health care representative
- Medical licensing
- Medical record requirements, including confidentiality, retention, and computerization issues
- HIPAA Privacy of Health Information Programs
- Assignment and re-assignment of Medicare reimbursement
- Billing for physician-extender services
- Medical staff and credentialing matters
- Physician recruitment agreements
- Issues relating to professional courtesy
Attorneys in our Health Care Group provide clients with a full range of corporate and transactional representation. We counsel all types of business entities, including corporations (such as c-corporations, s-corporations, and professional corporations), limited liability companies, partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships, and sole proprietorships. We prepare and review various corporate documents including bylaws, operating agreements, stock purchase, and sale agreements, and employment agreements for physician and non-physician employees, such as physician assistants, registered nurses, clinical nurse specialists, and physical therapists. In addition, we have assisted in the negotiation of many managed care agreements between provider groups and payors.
We have particular experience and advise health care clients on various issues such as managed care, Medicare/Medicaid and third-party reimbursement, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring, and joint ventures. Our antitrust and corporate securities law experience provides guidance to our clients in these complex areas of law. We have worked closely with single-specialty entities and have advised them on the advantages and disadvantages of various approaches including multi-specialty groups, independent practice associations, and for-profit and not-for-profit hospital/physician joint ventures.
Our experience also includes: advising employers and plans on issues and health benefits for employees and retirees; advising quality assurance/utilization review companies on increasing state regulation and contracting; and assessing potential liability exposure of managed care organizations and employers with respect to provider credentialing and selection.
The defense of medical malpractice has been a large part of our litigation practice for many years. Our attorneys have represented physicians, nurses, medical professionals, and health care organizations in every facet of malpractice and general health law litigation. We have extensive experience in defending cases all the way to trial and with other means of dispute resolution for lawsuits. Our attorneys have experience in the courtroom and have appeared before state and federal courts, and before licensing organizations.
In addition to attorneys who are very experienced in the defense of medical liability cases, Barrett McNagny has experienced and highly respected trial lawyers who represent health care employers in a variety of contexts, such as premises liability, workers compensation, and general personnel and human resource issues, and non-competition litigation. Additionally, our attorneys defend and provide advice concerning wrongful discharge claims, employment discrimination claims, equal employment, and affirmative action obligations. Our attorneys also prepare and review personnel policies and programs, such as employee handbooks, drug testing programs, and other procedures, and have the ability to handle both simple and complex commercial and regulatory litigation.
Contact Our Team
Contact a member of our Health Care Law team by clicking on their picture below.
Contact an Attorney
For additional information regarding Barrett McNagny's Health Care Law area of practice, please contact one of the attorneys listed below:
Visit the Health Care Law blog for information for those in the health care industry.